Sunday, October 10, 2010

Shabbat dinner menu 10/8

I had responded to a post about Yom Tov preparations recently on Beyond BT and that got me thinking about my own practice of preparing for Yom Tov and Shabbat in general. I enjoy reading housekeeping-related magazines and blogs, and I always try to incorporate new ideas into my personal practice. I love a well-kept home, but I don't always have the time or energy to make it as nice as I'd like it to be, so I love learning new shortcuts.

Shabbat meal preparation is a recurring activity and unfortunately, I'm not yet one of those ladies who preps and freezes much in advance. I do what I can. But, I am becoming an "expert" in throwing together meals in a short time period. Here's what's been happening recently: I get home from work and have about 1-1.5 hours to do work kitchen work while the nanny is with the kiddos, so I try to do as much as I can. This is what we had for shabbat dinner this week (thankfully there was a lunch at the synagogue!), and I did it all in just over one hour:
cabbage soup
roast chicken - chicken stuffed with onion and cilantro and rubbed with a paste
curry scented (spiced?) Israeli couscous (thank goodness for the Epicurious.com iPhone app!)
roasted garlic asparagus
potato salad

No comments:

Post a Comment