Thursday, February 12, 2009

Me and Cleaning, Cleaning and Me

The following post does not apply to Pesach preparations.

I *heart* cleaning.
That's lingo for "I love cleaning".

I admit it - I freely admit it. Given my kindergarten diploma, high school diploma, bachelor's degree, and two master's degrees - my overeducated self enjoys cleaning.

I could stay up late cleaning (unless I get tired). I can go ga-ga over new cleaning products. If I won a million dollars, among the many things I would do is buy expensive Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products. I discovered that the Magic Eraser really works, and that gets me excited. I bought a small booklet about how to utilize vinegar to its maximum potential for cleaning (I *heart* vinegar). I love finding natural, basic recipes for cleaning products I can make from the ingredients I have at home, like lemons, vinegar, baking soda, and the like.

Why this adoration for cleaning? Two words: instant gratification. (usually - unless something needs to soak overnight)

When you clean, you instantly see the results: the mirror is free of smudges, the floor shines, the dust is gone. There is no guessing, no waiting, no suspense - it's all right there, right in front of you. The pile of dirty dishes sparkles as it dries, and the sink itself practically smiles at you once you can see the bottom of it. The laundry smells fresh and renewed (ok, folding laundry is a different story and fortunately my husband tolerates that task). Once all the toys are picked up and the rug/carpet is vacuumed, the floor is practically asking to be walked on (ok, maybe I am getting a bit melodramatic here). But my point it is that you immediately see the results of your handiwork, and you can point to it (or stand back) and say, "I did that."

Not to mention, there are many lessons to be learned in cleaning. How to take pride in your possessions, learn respect for your parents (who buy your stuff) (you honor them by helping to keep the home you share clean), learn what a good work ethic is, learn how to manage time (ok - I've got 15 minutes and what should I do first?), the fundamentals of keeping house (and this applies to boys AND girls), how to be organized, etc.

It just makes me feel good.

I may have passed on a gene.

1 comment:

  1. My cousin swears by the power of baby wipes (they even got blue crayon out of white couch cushions), so I decided to try them out myself. They work on scuff marks on the wall and pretty much anything else that a Magic Eraser does, but cost a lot less. The ones from Costco are re-usable because they are made from cotton. Just throw them in the washer, and you have a clean rag for dusting, wiping up spills, etc. And in general, they are just more versatile than Magic Eraser. For example, on a hot day when you need to cool down quickly but don't have time to wash your face, you can wipe your face with a baby wipe - it's refreshing, and since it's gentle enough for a baby's bottom, it's probably just fine for your face. I wouldn't use it to take off eye make-up (in fact, I would try not to get it too close to the eyes at all), but it does the job. Or for after pumping gas when you want to clean your hands but the sanitizer bottle is empty, grab a baby wipe. It really is a wonder product!

    ReplyDelete