Monday, August 30, 2010

My Zumba class experience

I attended a free Zumba class yesterday and I made a few observations. For those who don't know, Zumba "fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create a one-of-a-kind fitness program that will blow you away." It looked like a party from the outside and who wouldn't want to party at the gym?

My observations:

1. Do you know why most workout pants are black? Because it's hard to find yourself in the mirror when you're in a Zumba class in black pants. I was wearing hot pink pants (the black ones were in the laundry!) so I was easy to spot, unfortunately.

2. For a good portion of the time, I wasn't exactly dancing, but I looked like I was being electrocuted.

3. I actually had to laugh out loud during several of the moves. My chest just does not move that way, nor will it ever.

4a. So during the class, I thought that it would be just GREAT to have a similar class set to Zumba-style Jewish music, you know, really upbeat, because I certainly do put in a workout at weddings, and that's in heels and dressed nicely. Surely we can have an exercise class that's with Jewish/Israeli music.

4b. Thank G-d someone had the same idea I had because we actually did a dance to Hava Nagilah Zumba-style, and let me tell you, it was awful (and I don't mean the exercising or the hot pink pants, although the pants may have had something to do with it). Listening to the music and trying to follow the steps actually made say out loud "OY VAY" unintentionally. So glad I did not take this idea and run with it.

5. My brain got a workout too as I was trying to figure out why I always had the wrong arm up (or down) or was stepping with the left (or right) leg when it should have been the opposite. I was having such a hard time following the leader and I prayed really hard that the windows looking out onto the treadmill area were really only one-way.

All in all, it was great, and my body feels like a wet noodle today. It did live up to its promise and it was a lot of fun. I have no idea how many calories I burned, but I would recommend the class if you are interested. Just leave your dignity at the door...

No comments:

Post a Comment